Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DisneyWorld - Getting There (Part 1)

Now, ya know, I’ve read some trip reports of people traveling to Disney (on disboards.com) and having all sorts of problems just getting there and I always think – those poor people! So, now I say “poor us”!

I will start by saying .. first time ever that I’ve had problems with Southwest Airlines .. we get to the airport at 5:45 AM because this was the first time ever that the Love Of My Life was flying on a senior ticket and on Southwest’s website it has these big-elaborate instructions on what to do .. our flight didn’t leave until 8:00 AM, but it appeared we’d need more time. Okay – No. 1: every time I’ve ever flown Southwest counter was open at 6:00 AM and I wasn’t the only person to think this, there were about 6 of us camped out on the chairs waiting for agents (I’ll say here they did not open until 6:45 AM = which was a little irritating!) So as we all sat and joked and wondered about when the agents would show up and sitting there chilling …. Around 6:30 AM in marched …. probably a least a 30 member Mariachi band and made beeline to the Southwest line --- while we all sat there stunned!

After certain comments (use your imagination!) … the line started growing as the agents were taking their time to show up – I finally said “Guys, we’re going to get in line before it gets any longer – good practice for DisneyWorld, I figured! Okay, thing is with a flight at 8:00 AM and agents not showing up until 6:45 AM is getting through MAF’s single line of security …. but I drift! The big-elaborate proving your age instructions … went out the window, as one the agents showed up – they moved us through in lightening speed – all 900 of us :-) (Well okay maybe not that many – but more than several!)

Then we are standing in the forever long line to get through security at 7:00 AM and I’m thinking okay maybe we will actually get on the plane, since everyone in line was going to the same place … almost! (EXCEPT the band – and I will say THANK YOU JESUS for them not being on our first flight … because as nicely dressed that they were --- they had cologne on to go with their nicely dressed ALL 30 OF THEM! I would have suffered a fate worse than death … because my eyes were watering and I could barely breathe from just standing around them in line … have I mentioned I’m allergic to a lot of perfumes and colognes?) … but once again I drift … we are about 20 people from the first stop in line of showing your ID and boarding pass, so I get ours out to give to Neal AND in all the flurry, I made my MISTAKE (not checking the boarding passes I was given) – I realized I was holding two boarding passes in my name … yes my name for the entire trip --- well sure that’s gonna work!

So we back out of the line and you know people are just obnoxious sometimes: I was pardoning and excusing and explaining we had to get out of line because our boarding passes were wrong and there were more than several “hurfs” and mean looks etc. COME ON PEOPLE just be nice to your fellow man, if they are at least trying to be polite in an ickie situation! So I told Neal to hold my bag and I’d run down the stairs and fix this … well the lady that had helped me was gone, so I used another agent and told her what happened and she politely said (and was only doing her job) “I need to see him and his drivers license.” Me: “He just showed it.” Her: “Well not to me.” … so yes, I turned towards Neal, cupped my mouth and screamed “NEAL”!!! He know my irritated voice and turned immediately and I motioned for him to come down … so, we had our boarding passes … again into line – this time it was 7:20 … 20 minutes to boarding AND we had “A” boarding passes AND I was a bit “hot under the collar” already and if we wound up sitting in the back of the plane … by missing our “A” boarding call, I was going to have words with someone!

So we make it through security at 7:35 and I told Neal “Just grab everything and let’s get to the gate.” I didn’t even put my shoes on … but then I realized I.did.not.have.my.boarding.pass … “Honey, do you have my boarding pass.” Neal: “No” Me: “Are You Sure?” Neal: “Yes” Me: (on the verge of tears at this point) “I just had it if I didn’t hand it to you where is it?” … and we start looking on the floor and in the bags and about that time … God sent an Angel! I heard a sweet voice say “Here’s one in this gray tray.” I looked up and I swear she had a halo! Yes, it was mine … we haul behinnies to the gate – and our “hommies” from 6:00 AM were sitting there and said “We were wondering where you two went.” So I was telling them, while trying to get my shoes on, what had happened.” And, I hear “Well, I did those passes, how did I screw them up?” … Sure ‘nuf, turned around and there she was, I told her and she offered to let us pre-board – Southwest does always try to make things right, I must say that!

I told her that we had “A” anyway and had appeared to make it, so it was okay ….. “Okay, those holding “A” passes, line up in your respective slots” …. was heard over the speaker …. Nothing like arriving at the airport 2 hours and 15 minutes early, to almost miss your boarding! But we board and the flight was smooth sailing and short to Albuquerque … yes, Albuquerque – was texting my eldest Sis while sitting on the ground in ABQ – for a short 3 hour layover … :-) and she had talked to her daughter in-between my texts … who reminded her about Bugs Bunny and his famous: “I knew I should have taken that right/left turn in Albuquerque.”
This isn't Florida!  I'm smart that way!

So Neal what do you think about the trip so far?

There’s always a light at the end of the tunnel and a laugh my Buddies! I will say that all has been perfect since we left Midland … which is sort of a redundant statement because all things usually are perfect upon leaving Midland … whether you have trouble or not! Don’t get me wrong I love the “old girl” she affords me a good living, a comfortable home and terrific friends (who all understand when I say … it is great leaving Midland!)

…….. stay tuned, I’m running behind yes --- BUT IT IS DISNEY WORLD!!!! More Fun To Come, let see we’ve had three days at the parks and I’ve only taken a mere 1,000 photos – not too bad!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the joys of travel. I had a similar problem at LAX. Got to the airport around 4am and waited with an intrepid group trying desperately to stay awake until security opened at 4:45. Good thing they sent me through the full body scan...they didn't notice the toothpaste I left in my purse or the wine I forgot to empty from my TRS water bottle. ;-)

    ReplyDelete