Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1 - Really?!

Here it is December 1, 30 days to the end of the month ... how did that happen, didn't we just celebrate the New Year turning to 2010?

First thing I think of today is it is World AIDS Day - I think of my friends who are no longer here with us because of this disease and I let them know - I think of you often, not just today.  Even though it has been almost 30 years since AIDS was first recognized and in spite of the advances made in treating the disease and in spite of all the education available to people - do you know they say that there's still 1.1 million people living with HIV -- AND YET one in five people don't know it!
Second, another "blast from past history" ... I believe it was today - in 1955 - that Rosa Parks was arrested for disobeying the Alabama law that black passengers relinquish their seats to white passengers, when the bus was full (and also to sit in the back).  (Yes, just checked this date is correct.)  Her quote from Quiet Strength "I did not get on the bus to get arrested, I got on the bus to go home." 
My third thought for today is ... how did we get to the end of this year to quickly?  I suppose the more "stuff" that happens during the year, the more you ignore time passing ... then "all the sudden" :-) you are at the end of the year and you think -- what?!  Any thoughts on that matter ... comments are welcome! :-)

So I propose that next year we all take time to take the time and enjoy each and every single day ... do something special, with someone special -- or just by yourself!  It may only be to take a few more minutes to sip the drink of your choice and reflect on the beauty of life!

Good Day Buddies ... a bit more random than I started this blog off to be today ... but that is what "came out" !!!  One just never knows with me :-)

2 comments:

  1. I too am thinking of the friends and family who lost their battle with AIDS but also of the many more who are HIV+ and living happy, productive fulfilling lives. I only wish the drugs available to them were equally available and affordable around the world.
    As someone who moved to the segregated south five years after Rosa Park took her stand I know the fight lasted way too long.
    Not only this year but this decade has sped by. It seems like the Millennium worries and celebrations just happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jac -- Holy Carpies ... the decade is over, isn't it ... WOW - incredible!

    ReplyDelete