Friday, December 10, 2010

Book-Ending a Career Hobby?


Okay, I admitted this outloud last evening and it really made an impression in my brain, which I now ponder. What you may ask? :-)

I have auditioned (yes, once again) for Theatre Midland’s 2011 season opener Oklahoma and yes, I’m currently in White Christmas ... yes, I got cast in Oklahoma and, although I will do “back-to-back” shows on occasion - I try not to.

So, now to the saying “outloud” part - in a congratulations received backstage last evening I made the statement that disregarding the fact that I love musicals - I auditioned for Oklahoma for an “additional” reason and that being Oklahoma was the first show I ever did at Theatre Midland.

Two responses now spring to mind:

(1) “How long ago was that?”
  • 35 years -- I mean really, I admitted this outloud?! (I’ve done theater at MCT that long? Of course, excepting a short 6-7 year hiatus that I allowed myself, at the point I refused to “take” ... any longer ... a “past” director’s snide remarks. Okay, I’ll also admit I had no intention of returning to theatre when I left ... guess I “got the bug”.)
(2) “As long as you don’t make it your last show.”
  • Well, before this statement came up, I had discussed that thought with my husband, I mean at some point you need to give it up - before you start embarrassing yourself (yes, even as an actor - I mean you all know how “we” are). It would be fitting to “bookend” a “career hobby” with the same show - sort of adds that note of “just right.”
Anyway, I doubt I put an end to my embarrassing myself any time soon - I mean there are some great shows on the 2011 season - so maybe I’ll branch out and away from musicals and REALLY get into the embarrassment stage of auditioning for non-musicals ... those for which I am truly untalented!

Have a great day (and weekend) my Buddies!

2 comments:

  1. As breathing, so is theater for you my dear Char.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd say call Oklahoma @ MCT book supports which can stand at the beginning, the end and anywhere between. :-) I think a non musical sounds exciting? Fun? Terrifying? You rock!

    ReplyDelete