Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Those Who Have Gone Before Us

Today's passing of Laurent Fignon sparked a thought (or two) in my brain, and maybe a possible explanation of my "obsession" with cemeteries and the Day of the Dead celebration.  Side Note:  I've always visited cemeteries, even before my photo obsession with headstones.

For those who may be reading and not know Laurent Fignon - he is a two time Tour de France winner and a one time winner of the Tour of Italy and simply a very classy man - who has lost his fight with cancer and is now at peace.  He made his mark on the world of cycling and will forever be remembered - but what if he had not been a world class cyclist?

As a young child, I loved my Grandmother Eva (my mother's mother) - but not being the older of the children in our family, that is the extent of what she was to me a loving grandmother.  My older sisters knew her better as a person and my eldest sister had the wonderful opportunity of being able to "be with" Grandmother Eva.  Grandmother took her to the cemeteries of our ancestors and instilled wonderful knowledge and appreciation of these ancestors.  It wasn't until I was an "older" woman that I became absolutely interested in researching our family lines, because it occurred to me it was not in my brain - nor written down for all I knew.

Four Generations - my Mother's Maternal Side
L-R: Arlene Morris (Aunt), Alton Morris (Grandfather),
Mildred Morris (Mother),
Eva Morris (Grandmother) holding my eldest sister - Annette
and Lidie Wimberley (Great-Grandmother)

Below:  Pleasant Wimberley (GG Grandfather)
When I started "poking" around, I discovered an absolute wealth of information from -- yes Grandmother Eva (and also on my Dad's side, from one of his nephews).  Through these handwritten notes (and many experiences since) I learned of my Grandmother Eva, as a woman - not just a loving grandmother - along with this knowledge, came much knowledge of my ancestors and the "knowing" of them as people.

Now to my love of cemeteries and the Day of the Dead celebrations - Day of the Dead is a holiday that allows families to dedicate time each year to honor those who have passed (Nov 1-2). In this celebration remembering the deceased is more than an act of fondness, it is an obligation of respect. This celebration ensures that a beloved's soul will never be forgotten and therefore shall truly never die.

Father's Maternal Side
Justin Bishop (GGGrandfather)

Many participants in this celebration believe there are three deaths that a person can experience: the first death is the expiration of the body; the second death occurs when the body is laid to rest; and the third and final death takes place only if and when the departed is forgotten.

It is this third and final death I feel as the most poignant, especially when you think of how many old, broken and long forgotten headstones - or lack of - exist and long before I became acquainted with the Day of the Dead celebration, I would roam cemeteries and particularly the old headstones and remember and ponder of the person buried there - I even have graves here in Midland County that I watch over and remember for they are long ago buried and probably have no one to remember them.

Father's Paternal Side
Elias G. Morris (GGGrandfather) and Georgie Knight (GGGrandmother)

So the point of this random, rambling blog from my brain sparked by the death of a great cyclist is:  even though most of "us" remember those recently departed and probably even a generation back or in the case of someone "famous" who will be remembered generations to come .... let us all strive to know and remember as many ancestors as we can - even if it is in the collective - for they are the ones that fought to improve their lives and the lives of their children and their children's children.  They are the ones that shaped "today's family" and their blood flows through your veins - so least they experience the third and most dreaded death of all -- let us remember them always!

Genealogy - write it down and pass it along, even if in our "PC" times of today an ancestor may not be looked upon in the best light - they were only doing the best they could at the time and what they thought was right for them and their families - at that point of time in history! 

Have a fabulous day buddies and in "remembering" Spock "Live Long and Prosper" :-)

5 comments:

  1. Char,

    How have you researched all this? On the web? If so which sight? What did you discover that surprised you the most?

    And I too will raise a glass to those who struggled merely to do the best they could with their circumstances. To those who carried on...

    Claire

    ReplyDelete
  2. I passed a few old cemetaries on my road trip this weekend and thought of you. As the "baby" on my dad's side and one of the youngest on my mom's, I never knew a lot of my relatives. How I wish now I had asked more questions. Thanks for posting this my friend.
    Kay Funk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire - I started out writing any living relative I could think of (and had the address for) and also at the time, I spent ALOT of time in Midland Co. Library genealogy section (which is fabulous!) ... I started in 1990 pre-alot on the web!

    Then as the information on the web became better I search Rootsweb and general searches - as an indulgence, I keep a yearly membership for Ancestry.com ... which is a wonderful site - basically, if they don't have it, it probably doesn't exist :-) and you can find all sorts of cousins that you may not have know to exist!

    I still lovingly search for more information and especially on those relatives that have offered me a "brick wall"! I figure it is the least I can do for generations to come :-)

    Kay - totally understand - search names on Rootsweb .. this is a free service and is set up for mostly every county, every state -- great service!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Char,
    This is a wonderful tribute to all the loved ones, family, friend or someone admired from afar, who have left us with only a memory.
    I appreciate the idea of the third death. Thank you for reminding me to keep those who have gone before at the front of my memory.
    Jac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire,
    I didn't answer the thing that surprised me most ... actually was when I discovered the cousin that had the photo of Justin Bishop TOTALLY surprised, so much so, it made me tear up ALOT

    ReplyDelete