Sunday, May 9, 2010

The "To Do" List

As I sat and stared at my "to do" list, I decided to take the day off! I'll regret it tomorrow, as I sit and work and think of what I didn't get done BUT sometimes it is just necessary. How's you're list coming along? I decided to share some random stuff my brain has come up with in dealing with "to do" list.

1. Utmost - ever so often - maybe once or twice a week, start at the bottom of the list. I know that's where my "well this can wait until later" stuff winds up and sometimes my list continues to get longer because these items tend to stay at the bottom. So if you take a couple of hours a week and eliminate even one item from the bottom of the list - the list will eventually get smaller, or at least not get any longer!

2. Now back to the top of the list - keep one of those larger sticky pads handy -- and make sure you put that as a permanent item on your list! :-) Pull off a page and stick it directly on your, already written, list - where you can't really see the entire list. On this sticky pad page, write one item from the top of the list - complete this task ... mark through it and replace it with one more item from the major list.

This may sound weird and probably is - but it is a trick your mind sort of thing (and you'll also see why in Nos. 3 and 4). By focusing on only one item before moving on to another, you trick your brain into thinking there is only one item thus slowing you down, more or less, and no fair thinking about the other items until the one is done, that is only counterproductive!

(The only time this rule's lines are fuzzy is if you are doing laundry (at home, of course) .. you are allowed to pick another item to work on during the time you're doing nothing for the laundry!)

3 and 4. I am combining two more "tricks" as they actually go hand in hand. Inform yourself that if you are a good little worker and finish the one item you chose to work on - that at that point you deserve a little break -- No. 3 (even if it is only 10 mns or so). No fair thinking about anything else during the little break except what you decide is going to be your little treat -- No. 4.

Your reward can be listening to music with your feet up for a few minutes OR if you're so inclined indulging in a beloved snack -- when you stop between tasks and take a few minutes it clears and refurbishes your mind and body, so you can move on to the next one task, which you decide at the end of your little breakie.

5. If you are working on the weekends - set a deadline to stop working and start enjoying. If you are picking items from the bottom of the list for an evening or two during the week -- say "I'm only going to work on this for 1 hour -- or 15 minutes -- WHAT 15 MINUTES -- yes, 15 minutes or even 5 ... think if you are truly doing mundane things on the list (let's face it, that's what always winds up at the bottom) ... say sorting drawers .. say: "I have 5 minutes extra every morning before I leave for work (or do whatever) each morning this week I'm using those 5 minutes to do ___________ -- that works out to be 25 minutes in one week -- actually alot of time.

6. AND one more - in my personal opinion - lately ALOT when I ask people "How are you doing?" "How have you been?" ... the answer is "Busy" ... well, okay - so one more thing, in my humble opinion -- say Great or Fine or Happy or anything else! Use a few seconds to focus on the person you are talking to and forget about the "list" and being "busy."

Okay, so go forth and conquer that "to do" list -- one bit at a time!

PS .. do you have any wonderful thoughts (or tricks) for "to do" lists? Please feel free to share them via comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment