Thursday, May 6, 2010

Live and Let Live - Cycling

It was a dark and stormy night (Thanks Kent, great opening line!) when I arrived in Silver City, New Mexico for the Tour of Gila - but if you read the last blog, you know that! :-)

A simple observation, at a bike race - of any kind - there will always be different levels of knowledge by people attending and hand-in-hand with that statement, I will add, there are just as many different “reasons” for attending that same bike race. So, if you have the opportunity to attend a race, examine your reason in advance and live up to it without fear of retribution from anyone -- because, after all, it is your very own reason and level of knowledge -- own them! (I suppose this probably applies to any chosen activity, not just cycling!)

My moment of clarity at Tour of Gila was before the start of the Pro Men’s criterium. As the riders assembled in the “holding pen” before they being allowed out for warm up on the course - I gathered a couple of autographs that I had wanted for a while and took some photos, whilst roaming in and out of the riders. Then I went to stand on the sidewalk were I put up the photos and the pen and checked the camera - etc. At that point a young gentlemen, probably in his 20s, was standing behind me with, what I determined was probably his father and grandfather/uncle. Very politely the young man asked: “Excuse me, can you help us.” (I, of course, said yes.) “We are here to see Lance....” (Then rather apologetically added) “....but we don’t know what he looks like.” (Moment of Clarity: These folks wanted to see an iconic figure they’d never seen ... had they ever attended a bike race - probably not - had they heard of Lance, definitely yes ... did this make them unworthy of my assistance - definitely not, different levels - different reasons!)

I, of course - being “Mommy” to the world, when asked :-) told them that he, and the boys, would be the very last to show up at the holding pen. I then found the photos I’d taken and showed them to them and explained what “the boy” would be wearing and which direction he’d be coming from (because I’d noticed where he went, of course) ... I would have stayed longer, but it was time to reposition myself, after all :-) I truly hope they got to see Lance.

I almost told them that Dave Z., Tommy D., Taylor Phinney AND a whole “slew” of other riders were standing right in front of them, but that would have made no difference to them - they knew one person they wanted to try to see. Should I fault them for that, no - I’m sure if we’d visited longer, there was something that they knew about or knew how to do - that I myself, would have been astonished with.

Others: the professional photographer, who obviously knew what she was doing and who everyone was ... however, at the Time Trial -- was overheard yelling (as she snapped photos) “Go _____________” :-) and then she said to us “Oh, I guess I shouldn’t show favorites.” Well, I question why the hector not?! Sure, she may have been there for her job, but everyone has their favorites ... so live and let live! (I found it cute and endearing, myself.)

The row of young men sitting on the rooftops of houses, no camera in hand - just enjoying the hector out of the criterium. Did they know the riders, that I don’t know - they definitely had no plans to snap photos :-) but they were enjoying the race in the way they chose.

The rather loud and pushy woman at the RadioShack bus (umm, no not me!) who waited the entire 2-1/2 hours, with me, before they showed up. Yes, I passed judgment on your character, and for that I apologize, because in retrospect (and after eavesdropping on her conversations with her friend) it was the first time she would be seeing Lance and trying to get an autograph and she was extremely nervous. Her friend kept telling her “It’ll be alright, just calm down.”

Also in retrospect of my last blog - was I “hard” on Henk and Floyd, well maybe so. Why? At the criterium, there eventually wound up being at least 15 policemen at the RadioShack RV, were there some anywhere else - no, there were volunteers elsewhere, but no “protection” for the rest of the riders ... Lance effect. So, I suppose it could get irritating to the other riders and DS, but let’s face it people - the man draws a crowd and Silver City has been most appreciative for that!

As to Floyd, Live and Let Live -- I mean there are days that I hate to go to my job too and don’t perform my best. So, ya know - if you want to diss me and ride at the back of the peloton, I’m sorry for thinking the things I’ve thought about you. (But he still has to do something spectacular to make up for his grumpy attitude!)

So, in closing kudos to the people of Silver City, who love their race - and year after year treat their “tourists” and riders with equal respect and kindness! AND go to races for your reason and your reason only ... LIVE AND LET LIVE!

2 comments: