Sunday, November 7, 2010

Austin Wrap Up

I know it has been a couple of weeks since the Austin Livestrong Challenge BUT there were a few thoughts I wanted to wrap up - but I'll keep my thoughts short on this one!  No really :-) !!

1.  At Mellow Johnny's for the Team RadioShack signings:  It was good to see the boys and as always they were personable and smiling (even the "new" boys) ... also, all the sudden (down by Popo) I was standing in front of JMac (hiddy JMac) .. I'd not read he was going to be there too - so that was a pleasant surprise.  My sweet niece gave me the poster she had signed, as I had my "retro" t-shirt from Gila signed - so I got two wonderful items (you could only have one item signed) ... anyway, she settled for an unsigned poster -- HOWEVER, at the end of the line -- she would have settled for Popo!  He is such a sweet man (and cute) "hey" I'd adopt him - hands down!

2.  At Mellow Johnny's standing in line for the signing we met a wonderful couple from Canada and had such a lovely chat with them - and much like the lady from Norway we met the day before in the line at Livestrong HQ ... it brought it home as to how global that Livestrong has become - wonderful.

3.  Back at Mellow Johnny's the last day we were there and it wasn't as crowded :-) all the staff are simply wonderful, helpful and happy people.  MJ's is a typical (yet so non-typical, as most of you know) bike shop and the people of Austin are lucky to have them downtown!

4.  JUAN PELOTA MAKES THE ABSOLUTE BEST AMERICANO I HAVE EVER HAD ... ooops, sorry but it really did make me want to scream it from the top of the nearest 50 story building :-)  Good Grief they make good coffee ... Starbucks, sorry babes - you'll only "do" because JP isn't "here"!  TIP:  If you go to Austin and are not interested in MJ's for any reason ... GO anyway for JP's coffee (my niece said it was the best mocha latte she's ever had.)

5.  Downtown Austin --- in love with - it is also to be experienced, such a culture AND you may want to stick around for the bat flight ... we didn't, but I heard from alot of folks who did -- so it is on my list for next time!

6.  Last, but not the least - as they say: Chuys -- a small chain of Tex-Mex restaurants:  Oh My Freak'in GOODNESS!!!  The first day we ate at the one out by my nieces house and the last day we ate at the "original" in downtown Austin ... the location matters not -- eat there, if you go to Austin!

AND ... they have the absolute best, I say again ... the absolute best Jalapeno Ranch Dip - I'd never tasted anything like it, I could have asked for a straw (um, as a matter of fact - I think I did!)   We asked after the receipe and then I Googled, once I got home and my niece just texted me and said "That's It" ... sharing the receipe but you may want to start smaller ... but I'll guarantee - you'll want more of it for whatever you decide to dip into it  .... or a straw is also good! :-) (This is one item of food I am just going to accept is probably "bad" - I'm not going to overanalyze its contents and breakout the fat content etc. - I'll make a smaller batch for meeeeeeeeeee only (hands off Neal!) and enjoy it on special occasions!)

Chuy's Jalapeno Dip - yield 7 cups; prep time 10 mins:

1 quart sour cream
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup chopped jalapeno
1 cup green tomatillo sauce
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
3 (1 ounce) packets dry ranch dressing mix

1 Mix first 5 ingredients in a blender until smooth. 2 Stir in ranch mix with a whisk. 3 Chill and serve.

3 comments:

  1. Nice to read about those special moments in Austin. Your excitement is contagious.

    Thanks for the recipe. It sounds yummy. I've copied it & will try to reduce the amounts...unless I'm going to a really big party. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you had such a great time. I was excited for you when I saw JMac was there too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies ... yeps JMac was quite a surprise, I was like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ... wait 6 ... JMAC!!! Where'd you come from :-)

    ReplyDelete