Monday, September 20, 2010

A "Wow" Moment

Gila Wilderness Area

Okies dokies - I promise this one will be short (yeps, I know I've promised that before), we got back from vaca in Silver City, New Mexico and we had a fabulous time.  We took things nice and slow as Hubby is getting up to speed ... but still not up to full speed for hiking - we are still rather slow in that aspect :-)  Anyway, that's not what this blog is about - it is obvious I still get side-tracked!

Several years back I had requested (and received) my Dad's CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp) records.  He had signed up for the CCC to send money back home, as was the case in just about everyone at that point in time.  So, Dad was in three different camps and at the time I received the papers - I'd researched where the camps were and made the notes on the papers, promptly filed them for later inclusion in the family genealogy.

Sooooo, this last week I decided one of the things that I would do was to start to organize some of the family files that have been "rifled" through looking for information, some I'd dropped on the floor (yeps me "durh" go figure!) and some information I had pulled out and never got back in the correct file ... so in layman's terms :-) they were messed up!  I started with Dad's family files and in going through them - found the CCC records in a file that they should not have even been in -- yuppers!

Anyway, in looking at my notes I saw the camps that he was in (as a truck driver - all camps) - two were around Prescott, Arizona AND "WOW" one was in the Gila Wilderness Area around Silver City, New Mexico .... now how's that for ya?!'

I, of course, immediately called to Hubby and informed him of this fact that I'd forgotten over the last couple of years .... so I'm wondering is the reason I love the Silver City area so much, simply in my genetic makeup, something my Dad passed along to me from a time before he was even married to Mom, or was their love of the Southwest simply passed on to me?!

Hope you, my Buddies, have a "Wow" moment soon - they're great!

1 comment: