Tuesday, April 27, 2010

33 Years - Something Wrong With Me?


I just typed today’s date on a letter AND 33 Years .... Holy Carpies!

Okay I hear you thinking “what?” Let us take this moment together to reflect on what some may call a “rut” (of which I have several, but I think they are good ones) -- I have today worked at my place of employment for 33 years, there has got to be something wrong with that, with me - right?

As a starving pre-med student, I needed to find a job and work a while to continue pursuing my “want” of becoming a heart surgeon, without actually starving to death in the process .. so through the college work program - that I was in at the time - a request to fill a receptionist position came and there began my 33 year history (isn't my photo of my 1st day at work adorable?) I began here at the law firm in the position of receptionist “extraordinaire” however, it was in my cards to only hold that position for 3 months, when one of the two secretaries left (she was preggers).

I had been typing, occasionally, for different small projects and the remaining secretary told “them” that they should offer me the position of secretary and simply hire another receptionist -- which they did and I agonized over the change in job! It came with more pay, but also the risk of “what if I did a lousy job and they fired me” ... so, with the promise to me that if I “sucked” they would let me have the receptionist job back -- I moved forward (and up the pay scale to a whopping $575.00/month!)

Soooooo, I guess things worked out ‘eh AND I don’t take all the credit for being fabulous (hee, hee and modest) ... this place is “da bomb” more like a family than a place of employment, so no, I don’t really think there is anything wrong with me -- I feel rather smart (for staying) and also feel rather blessed!

PS. "OH" I decided I liked the legal business (and being able to pay my bills and eat at the same time) ... so I stayed - I'm not doubling as a heart surgeon at night - but you all probably figured that one out!

No comments:

Post a Comment